This is an engaging way for students to show their learning from the novel, _The Chrysalids_, by creating their own mutant that is not mentioned, but in keeping with spirit of the narrative. The work for this may be done in class (during work blocks) and/or at home. After they create their mutant, and write their inspector's Reports, they delivery oral presentations to the class. Overall, this project last a minimum of one week, with presentations usually lasting two or three days (based upon your average 30-student class size).
The Aim of this Final Summative Assessment for the Novel Study:
Students must create their mutant to show the class, write up an Inspector's Report, including specific criteria, and deliver an oral presentation explaining their mutant to the "Rigo Normalcy Committee."
In my experience, nearly all students enjoy the creative expression of this assignment. They also end up loving the theatrics that you can play-up with the oral presentations. Some of my students even get dressed up for the Normalcy Committee!
Included in this zipped-file document (26 pages):
1. Final Project: Build a Mutant (two-page handout) (Also included is alternative version with an additional "Write an Extra Chapter" summative project) (one page) (Filetype: pdf)
2. A PowerPoint document (18 slides) providing final project examples for students and class to discuss. (Filetype: pptx)
3. Build a Mutant - Rubric and Feedback Form (2 pages) (1 page to give to students, 1 page to use as your marking/feedback rubric form) (Filetype: pdf)
4. Oral Presentation - Assessment Rubric (1 page) (Filetype: pdf)
5. Inspector's Report exemplar, written by a student (2 pages). It follows the correct format. As a class, you can read and discuss its attributes (both good and how it could be made better). (Filetype: pdf)