This file includes activities, mentor sentences, and quiz questions for "The Colomber." Author Dino Buzzati weaves an interesting tale that will inspire great class discussion.
Included in "The Colomber" file:
→ A complete lesson plan - this lesson plan includes standards, discussion notes, pre-reading and post-reading topics, as well as literary devices to highlight during the story.
→ Quiz - it has five short answer questions that deal with literary terms and five multiple choice questions focusing on comprehension. It closes with an essay prompt. Use it alone as an after-reading quiz or include it in a larger test.
→ Differentiated mentor sentences - TWO sets of mentor sentences. Each set pulls sentences from "The Colomber." One set asks students to identify the underlined parts of speech. The second set asks students to identify the underlined phrase or clause.
→ Vocabulary activities - study guide and quiz. Students will have a study guide with ten vocabulary words in context. A vocabulary quiz is included.
→Reflective activity - writing and coloring. Students will label and color a "colomber" with the unknowns and fears in their lives. This helps students relate to the story and makes for a nice concluding activity.
I usually spend about three days teaching "The Colomber." My lesson plan includes ideas for differentiating, as well as extension activities. None of the activities depend upon each other - use one or more pieces easily.
Everything in "The Colomber" activity set is editable with the exception of the coloring sheet. You will receive editable and non-editable files.
• Marigolds by Eugenia W. Collier: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Writing
• Poison by Roald Dahl: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Graphic Organizer
• The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Graphic Organizer
• The Lady or the Tiger by Frank Stockton: Pre-Reading, Quiz, Mentor Sentence
• The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacobs: Mentor Sentences, Quiz, and Writing Activities
• The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant Questions, Mentor Sentences, and Activities
• The Scarlet Ibis by James Hurst: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, and Activities
• There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury: Pre-Reading, Quiz, Mentor Sentence
• Wine on the Desert by Max Brand: Vocabulary, Writing, Graphic Organizer