As a writing coach working with teachers to implement the new Lucy Calkins writing curriculum. I created illustrated, grade-specific, kid friendly checklists to support teachers and students in all three Common Core Writing Text Types. This bundle includes checklists for Opinion, Information and Narrative Writing Illustrated Checklists along with student reflection sheets for each text type. These checklists are designed to provide a visual reminder to students of what they have learned how to do and reminds them of what they are aiming towards as writers.
Aligned with the NEW Lucy Calkins Units of Study but these illustrated checklists will support all student writers no matter what the teaching framework. They help to spell out the CCSS writing and language expectations in ways that make sense to children. Each checklist pared down and chunked by skill set highlighted in the CCSS. Focusing on the three main aspects of writing: structure, development, and language conventions. Simple, purposeful visuals, along with clear, simple descriptors and writing examples, will support students in identifying the targeted strategy or skill they are aiming to transfer to their writing.
These checklists are designed to use a variety of way to support flexible teaching. It’s a great goal setting, peer editing, and self-assessment tool for students. Teachers may find them useful as a tool to help differentiate instruction, use during writing conferences and to share with parents during learning conversations.
I truly hope this is beneficial in your classroom.
Included in this bundle:
• Coaching tips spotlighting the suggested use of checklists across a writing unit of study
• Color and black/white kid-friendly illustrated writing checklists written featuring “I Can” statements for all three text types
• Color and black/white kid-friendly spelling and language convention illustrated checklists written “I Can” Statements
• Color kid and black/white kid-friendly writing process illustrated checklists written with “I Can” Statements
• Student writing reflection sheets for each text type of writing that can be used as a quick tool for your students to self-evaluate their writing experience prior to report cards or conference
Thank You & Happy Writing! - Pure Literacy
Key words: illustrated writing checklist, illustrated editor’s checklist, Kindergarten Common Core Writing Checklist, Lucy Calkins New Writing Units of Study Checklists, writer’s toolkit, writing workshop, writer’s workshop, editing, writing process, Common Core Writing Text Type Checklists, editor’s toolkit, kid-friendly writing checklist, writing goal setting checklist, writing self-assessment, writing reflection sheet, Kindergarten Opinion Writing checklists, Kindergarten Information Writing checklists, Kindergarten Narrative Writing checklists.