Do you want your students to create better hooks, intros, rising action, climaxes, and conclusions in their personal narratives?
This practice is set up to let them annotate mentor texts for each section separately. This allows students to analyze author craft move that are specific to each section of their story. For example in the practice for the rising action students will be asked to annotate and label the spots where the mentor text does a great job of building tension through strong emotion, highlighting a struggle, or using mini problems.
Additionally in every section students will be annotating examples of inner thinking and sensory details.
Students are also given prompts for each section of story (hook, intro, rising action, climax, and conclusion) and will be asked to write a quick draft of a paragraph that uses the same author craft moves that they had just annotated and highlighted.
- 5 Mentor Hooks to Annotate
- 2 Hook Prompts to Write
- 3 Mentor Intros to Annotate
- 2 Intro Prompts to Write
- 3 Mentor Rising Actions to Annotate
- 2 Rising Action Prompts to Write
- 3 Mentor Climaxes to Annotate
- 2 Climax Prompts to Write
- 3 Mentor Conclusions to Annotate
- 2 Conclusion Prompts to Write