Use these Common Core aligned word work activities to help students practice identifying, writing, and categorizing compound words. This packet focuses on building and recognizing compound words.
This lesson is aligned to the following CCSS for ELA:
- Grade 2: L.2.4.d: Use knowledge of the meaning of individual words to predict the meaning of compound words (e.g., birdhouse, lighthouse, housefly; bookshelf, notebook, bookmark).
File type: PDF
Page size: 8.5" x 11" (letter)
- 1 compound word example chart
- Introduction “Lasso Lizzy” story
- CREATE-A-COMPOUND : Fill-in-the blanks by creating compound words
- COMPOUND OR NOT?: Compound words sorting worksheets
- LASSO-A-MATCH: Compound word matching worksheet
- GUESS WHAT? JOINING PRACTICE: Picture joining worksheet
- I HAVE, WHO HAS? 24 cards for a game of “I Have, Who Has?”
- Answer key for all word work activities
Ideas for Use:
- Introduce compound words using the example chart (p. 4)
and compound word introduction story (p. 5)
- Use the 5 activities as word work during your ELA block.
- Use some or all of the 5 activities during literacy centers.
Clip art from: www.mycutegraphics.com and www.openclipart.org