The following is a comprehensive, 2 to 3 day (75 minute periods), common core-based lesson/worksheet/PowerPoint on the Constitutional Convention of 1787 and the Constitution of the United States. This worksheet is loaded with a variety of student-centered activities designed to promote active engagement and critical thinking. Several activities include:
• Critical thinking do now perfect for class discussion.
• Primary source activity – The Major Debates of the Constitutional Convention. In pairs or small groups, students analyze quotes from the Framers of the Constitution to better understand the inherent conflicts behind the creation of the Constitution. Students then discuss with their groups which perspective they agree with and why. The attached PowerPoint then gives students the factual information on the actual compromise.
• Class discussion on the powers of each branch
• Constitutional Scavenger Hunt
• Checks and Balances Scenarios
• Amending the Constitution and Federalism discussion.
• Federalism Activity
• Implied Powers Discussion
Worksheet – 12 pages
PowerPoint – 12 slides
Copy of the Constitution included
This worksheet/PP can easily be modified to fit a longer or shorter class period. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Please follow me to receive notifications about newly uploaded products. Finally, please rate this worksheet. Thanks!
I also offer the previous lesson on the Articles of Confederation...
The Articles of Confederation - US History Common Core
...or both the Articles of Confederation and Constitution lessons bundled together...
Articles of Confederation and U.S. Constitution Bundle - US History Common Core