I absoultely LOVE The Crucible by Arthur Miller! It is my favorite piece of literature to teach! Students love it too!
See below for everything that is included in this bundle!
SAVE 20% WITH THIS BUNDLE!
I. The Crucible Activities Bundle - Pre-reading and Post-Reading
I have just included pre and post activities in this bundle because once we start reading, my students don't want to stop until the end!
Pre-reading activities include:
1. A history video viewing guide that corresponds with Salem Witch Trials documentary from the History Channel along with a handout where students determine which information is true, false, or simply opinionated about the history of the Salem Witch Trials Answer keys included.
2. Research task cards with topics pertaining to the history of the trials, and students research their particular topic, collaborate with others, and present findings to the class. It is important that students are familiar with the history of the trials before reading The Crucible play.
Post-reading activities include:
3. A character brainstoring game that acts as review for the play and scaffolding for an essay. This game requires students to move, think, collaborate, write, and evaluate.
4. Instructions for how to write an expository essay, expository essay assignment, and rubric for grading.
5. Crucibles in Life competition - links today's crucibles to those in Puritan times. Suggested answers included.
6. Creative conflict map requiring students to think thoroughly and analytically. Examples included.
7. Primary historical documents exploration to complete an incident report where students go straight to the court documents of Salem. to look for charges, witnesses, and evidence. This is print and go ready with an instruction sheet for students and an incident report to complete.
8. Plot activity - students cut the events apart and put them in the correct acts in order of occurrence as review.
9. Visual literacy practice- students look at political cartoons from McCarthy era and determine their relevance to the Salem trials. An interactive discussion option is included.
10. A list of 6 of differentiated project choices with detailed instructions for each choice.
These activities help students understand the events of the play while having fun, being creative, and thinking critically/analytically. Several of these are hands-on and require students to "think outside the box." There are so many activities to choose from that you won't have time for them all! You'll need to select those activites that fit your students' needs and abilities.
Visit The Crucible Pre-Reading and Post-Reading Activities
for a PREVIEW.
II. Crucible Quizzes
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Crucible Quizzes comes with a quiz in 2 versions for each of the 4 acts of this play so that you can deter cheaters or give different quizzes to different classes. Each quiz has 10 multiple-choice and 5 true/false questions. This packet comes with the editable PowerPoint file in case you wish to make any changes. Answer keys are inlcuded for all quizzes.
Bonus: I have arranged the answer choices so that if anyone straight copies a quiz from a different version, they won't get any questions correct. (Yes, I am evil like that! LOL!) The quiz version is either A or B noted in the bottom right-hand corner.
The cover and credits page do not count in the page total for this product. Each quiz takes up one page for easy printing. There are two versions for each act, which equals 8 pages, and one page with all the answers. I like to save paper! The editable PowerPoint does not count in the page total as well.
Visit Crucible Quizzes
for thumbnail PREVIEW.
III. The Crucible Review Game
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This game has 78 question cards with answers and rules. There are also a few blank cards if you wish to add some questions. Just print and cut, hand out to the students, and they do the work. They read the rule sheet, call out the questions, and keep up with the points. They can enjoy competing against each other, and the best thing is they are reviewing the entire play while having fun. Since they will be engaged, you can relax a bit! You deserve it!
Visit Crucible Review Game
for thumbnail PREVIEW.
IV. The Crucible Final Test
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Crucible Final Test has the following:
20 Multiple-choice questions
20 True/False questions
20 Matching people to their descriptors
1 short answer list
1 short essay (paragraph length)
The editable PowerPoint is included in this zip file in case you wish to make changes to fit your classroom.
Also, there are 2 versions of the test! You can give different tests to different classes or deter cheaters with these.
Answer keys to both versions are included. Furthermore, there is a student answer sheet if you wish to reuse the test. The students can write their answers on one sheet, and you can grade them much easier than flipping through several pages of a test.
Visit The Crucible Test
for thumbnail PREVIEW.
This packet has everything you need to thoroughly teach The Crucible. You may notice that I don't have worksheets or activities to do during the reading of the play because my students are so eager to move to the next act, that I would be holding them back to give them assignments or questions to complete during the play. That is why I prefer to do pre and post activities instead. Of course, there is a quiz to give after each act included in this bundle.
This bundle has so much that you will have to choose what is best for your students because you just wont have time to it all. There are so many activities!!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you would like an ENTIRE semester of American literature lessons and activities at your fingertips, visit American Literature Full Semester
for more stress-free planning!