The six resources included in this bundle for "The Demon Lover" by Elizabeth Bowen will help your students understand the historical significance and suspenseful plot construction of the short story, in addition to providing them with opportunities to interpret the ambiguous ending.
Included in the bundle:
1. PowerPoint notes about the characteristics of Modernist literature (4 slides, student fill-in-the-blank version included)
2. PowerPoint slides showing pictures of The Blitz bombings on London during World War II with a brief explanation (7 slides)
3. Elements of suspense worksheet: Before students read the story, have them complete the first part of the worksheet to identify how these elements are used in a movie or book they already know. Then, have them complete the second part of the worksheet based on how Bowen constructs the story with these elements. (Key included.)
4. Plot questions: 11 basic questions about the events of the story (key included.)
5. Interpretation worksheet: Students note evidence from the story the suggests it could be a ghost story and evidence that suggests it could be a depiction of a mental breakdown. Then, they explain what interpretation they think is more valid. (Key included.)
6. "P.S." writing activity: Students identify whether they believe the protagonist's experiences are real or imagined, and add on to Bowen's ambiguous ending to the story. Then, they exchange with a partner who rates the story on four criteria.
Here are some more British Literature products that might make your life easier!
British Literature Mega Bundle
The Importance of Being Earnest Unit Bundle
World War I Poetry Unit Bundle