The resources included in this bundle will help your students understand the historical significance and suspenseful plot construction of Elizabeth Bowen's short story "The Demon Lover," in addition to providing them with opportunities to interpret the ambiguous ending to the story.
Included in the bundle:
1. PowerPoint notes about the characteristics of Modernist literature (4 slides, student fill-in-the-blank version included)
2. PowerPoint slides briefly explaining The Blitz bombings on London during World War II (7 slides)
3. Elements of suspense worksheet: Before students read the story, have them complete the first part of the worksheet to identify how these elements are used in a movie or book they already know. Then, have them complete the second part of the worksheet based on how Bowen constructs the story with these elements. (Key included.)
4. Plot questions: 11 basic questions about the events of the story (Key included.)
5. Interpretation worksheet: Students note evidence from the story the suggests it could be a ghost story and evidence that suggests it could be a depiction of a mental breakdown. Then, they explain what interpretation they think is more valid. (Key included.)
6. "P.S." writing activity: Students identify whether they believe the protagonist's experiences are real or imagined, and add on to Bowen's ambiguous ending to the story. Then, they exchange with a partner who rates the story on four criteria.