NOTE: THIS PRODUCT IS MEANT TO BE USED AFTER STUDENTS READ THE BOOK.
The clues in these 10 puzzles contain two-word phrases from THE DEVIL'S ARITHMETIC. But there's a catch: the two words, while retaining the original order of their letters, have been merged into one, and the second word may begin before the first! Students must decipher the two words to solve each puzzle. Here's an example:
GRAWNIDLPLA (Grandpa Will)
Not as easy as it sounds! A good spelling workout! Download the preview to see more examples.
More editions of Word Merges!
Bridge to Terabithia
Dear Mr. Henshaw
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Julie of the Wolves
Number the Stars
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
Summer of the Monkeys
The Devil's Arithmetic
The Sign of the Beaver
The Watsons Go to Birmingham
The Westing Game
The Whipping Boy
There's a Girl in My Hammerlock
Where the Red Fern Grows
Here are my unique products over THE DEVIL’S ARITHMETIC—perfect activities for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View them in my store.
* THE DEVIL’S ARITHMETIC: 10 Word Merge—One “Word” Becomes Two!
Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
* THE DEVIL’S ARITHMETIC: 10 Quotefall Puzzles—Similes from the Book!
Each quotefall is a quotation from the story that contains a simile. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
* THE DEVIL’S ARITHMETIC: Fill-In Puzzle: Characters’ First Names
Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
* THE DEVIL’S ARITHMETIC: 5 Vocab Crosswords plus 1 Comprehensive Puzzle The puzzles are based on 5 sections of the book and the comprehensive puzzle tests students on 20 of the words—the same words that are listed and defined in the Words to Know section of Bookmarks Plus: The Devil’s Arithmetic edition.
* Bookmarks Plus: THE DEVIL’S ARITHMETIC: Handy Reading Aid!
Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!