These two crossword puzzles are based on details from THE DEVIL'S ARITHMETIC. Puzzle #1 has 48 clues; puzzle #1 has 62 clues. Challenges student's reading-for-detail skills in a fun way and makes a great review for objective tests!
Here are some sample clues:
"He who ___ on a matter alienates his friend." (Rabbi Boruche, Ch. 10)HARPS
Rosemar's Easter treat--2 words (Ch. 3)JELLY BEANS
Hannah's nickname for Aaron--hyphenated word (Ch. 3)RON-RON
Jewish word for "little town" SHETL
Aunt Eva as a girl (Ch. 18)RIVKA
Hannah's message for the future: "TheJews will ___." (Ch. 18)SURVIVE
Mr. Unsward (Ch. 13)TEACHER
The child Commandant Breur takes "to his mother" (Ch. 16)REUVEN
Where Gitl and Yitzchak emigrated to (Epilogue)ISRAEL
Here are my unique products over THE DEVIL’S ARITHMETIC—perfect activities for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View them in my store.
* THE DEVIL’S ARITHMETIC: 10 Word Merge—One “Word” Becomes Two!
Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
* THE DEVIL’S ARITHMETIC: 10 Quotefall Puzzles—Similes from the Book!
Each quotefall is a quotation from the story that contains a simile. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
* THE DEVIL’S ARITHMETIC: Fill-In Puzzle: Characters’ First Names
Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
* THE DEVIL’S ARITHMETIC: 5 Vocab Crosswords plus 1 Comprehensive Puzzle The puzzles are based on 5 sections of the book and the comprehensive puzzle tests students on 20 of the words—the same words that are listed and defined in the Words to Know section of Bookmarks Plus: The Devil’s Arithmetic edition.
* Bookmarks Plus: THE DEVIL’S ARITHMETIC: Handy Reading Aid!
Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!