From a young age, children are naturally curious about how their body breaks down and processes foods. It’s entertaining, it’s fascinating, and let’s face it, some parts of it are downright embarrassing and funny! Why not tap into this natural curiosity by investigating this amazing system at school?
In this three-week investigation, students will:
* Identify and label the parts of the digestive system
* Learn about how the digestive system functions
* Estimate and measure
* Follow the scientific method*
* Make hypotheses
* Measure and observe
* Make written and drawn observations
* Draw conclusions
* Answer comprehension questions
* Reflect on the experiment
* Conduct 4 different experiments designed to simulate digestion and the functions of various organs in the digestive system
* Research and learn about one specific organ in the system in depth
* Create a 3-dimensional representation of the organ they research
* Collaborate with classmates to create a three-dimensional mural of the digestive system
And most importantly: HAVE A LOT OF FUN!
Included in this 42 page Integrated Curriculum:
* 5 pages of 'Teacher Tips' - lessons learned from experience
* 29 pages of Student recording sheets
* 8 pages of information and keys
Hone in on students' natural curiosity with this high-interest Integrated Science unit!
** Paired with my product 'An Interactive SmartBoard Intro to the Digestive System for Gr. 3-6', this is all you need for a great unit on digestion!**