The Digestive System – A Fifth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 5th grade level instructional presentation
It includes a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with two fully interactive presentation slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook. Students can also complete the activity during the presentation as reinforcement for the presentation.
The presentation includes:
• Introductory terminology (digestion, saliva, pharynx, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, and colon).
• Basic understanding of how digestion begins.
• Illustration of parts of the digestive system.
• Digestion which occurs in the mouth.
• Digestion from pharynx to the stomach.
• How the stomach acts on the bolus.
• Explanation of how the liver, gall bladder, and pancreas are involved in digestion. Introduction to small intestine and villi.
• Large intestine (cecum, colon, and rectum) identified.
The last slides are white-background and used for the printables. The printables are already in PDF form in the package. The white-background pages are not included in the total pages. I include them in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printables.
The interactive/review slides and printables:
• This first activity has students complete a matching activity using the following vocabulary: small intestine, liver, pharynx, stomach, pancreas, esophagus, gall bladder, digestion, large intestine, saliva, colon, and villi.
• The second activity is a labeling/matching activity where students match digestion terms with the correct picture on the anatomy. Terms include esophagus, liver, gall bladder, large intestine, small intestine, pancreas, and stomach.
SMARTBoard presentations require the use of Notebook Software. They are not compatible with Promethean Active Inspire software. There are free SMARTBoard viewers online, however.