Do you have those reluctant writers in your class but know the potential they have? Do you also have a group of excelling students that seem bored and need a challenge?
Discovery Journals are your answer to both of these problems!
Engage all writers by establishing a Discovery Journal club in your classroom where students complete writing tasks outside the classroom at home, which gets parents and family members involved in their learning!
What is a Discovery Journal? Each week students are to pick a topic, complete research and become knowledgeable about their topic, record their brainstorming on the provided blacklines, and compose a short informative writing piece to then share in an oral presentation to the class.
All students need is a composition notebook and cover multiple Common Core objectives with one activity!
This .zip Includes:
- PDF & PowerPoint slides for editing
- Discovery Journal poster & sign-up form
- Pre-filled parent letter outlining the project
- Blank parent letter for editing and customizing
- A-Z brainstorming sheets that can be folded and glued into notebooks
- Notebook recommendation slide for parents (optional)
See how I use this product in my classroom at Sliding Into Second Grade
©2016 Kelly Daniel
Clip Art: © Melonheadz Illustrating
Fonts: © KG Fonts