This zipped file contains
• a smartboard lesson on the distributive property that focuses on CCSS 7.EE.A2,
• a set of directions for using the smartboard lesson and
• an assignment, with solutions, that can be used after the lesson.
The smart notebook file can be used as lesson on the distributive property:
• Slide 2 is the Do Now that review five arithmetic problems that are displayed horizontally. Students must use their knowledge of the order of operations to simplify these five problems.
• Slide 3 shows two ways the distributive property can be thought about. This begins to set up the distributive property.
• Slide 4 present a second problem for the students to think about. The students need to follow the same steps they did on slide 3.
• After reminding the students of two distributive properties on slide 5 students are asked to complete 3 additional distributive properties.
• Slide 6 presents a visual model for the distributive property that is based on rectangle divided into two parts.
• Students are challenged to set up to additional distributive properties with only numbers involved on slide 7.
• Slide 8 is similar to slide 7, but now some of the numbers have been replaced with variables.
• Slides 9 and 10 present the distributive property in reverse. The distributive property has been written in reverse.
• Slides 11 and 12 can be used for demonstration of learning. Students should be able to apply the distributive property to each of the four problems presented.
The area model is emphasized to help students visualize what is happening in the distributive property.