Also included in
- Make your year a little easier, and give your ELL students high quality, high interest, fun materials! If you covered everything in this pack it would probably take around 70 school days. That's a lot of material for your school year -- nearly 4 months!Many of these 30+ resources work with multiple$48.99$97.32Save $48.33
Tackle vocab, grammar and ELA with a high-interest story, and bundled lesson ideas, graphic organizers and activities!
Edith is feeling anxious about the strange weather. Her brother, Luis, mocks her and goes to play soccer. He says she cannot join him. A dust storm appears and Edith braves it to find her brother. She locates him at the soccer field and helps him survive the storm. At the end the brother and sister start to play soccer together.
Beginner English language learners are crying out for stimulating texts to develop their reading and language skills. These texts are hard to find.
This two-part story is part of a collection of high-interest material specifically designed by an experienced ESL teacher for ENL, ESL, ELL students. It is short enough for beginners (spanning 4 pages of text, and 6 pages of activities, plus graphic organizers), yet contains meaningful content and exciting activities that are sure to provoke discussion. It can also be used to teach ELA concepts. Extensive lesson plan suggestions are included.
Each story and nonfiction article in the series uses vocabulary from one section of the Oxford Picture Dictionary. If you have access to the dictionary, the text pairs with it, enabling you to easily create a multiple day unit of vocabulary work and reading. If you do not have access to the dictionary the text and activities can stand alone. The series of texts introduces literary elements, reading skills, grammar and vocabulary.
The ten-sided handout should be copied for your class. The images can be displayed on a screen, if you have one.
- One two-part story with original artwork. In developing this product my students spent around six classroom hours on it (plus vocabulary instruction).
- Activities including grammar and writing.
- Ideas for teachers — what to do before reading, during reading and after reading.
- Two grids for retelling the story as a comic.
- A portrait frame (to teach character) with text detail boxes.
- A film strip graphic organizer for teaching setting.
- Answer key.
More great materials for your ELLs:
Be sure to check out my Halloween products for nonfiction, an original short story, plus the classic "The Monkey's Paw". They are all for beginner ESL students, and there is a great value bundle containing the whole lot of them. If you're looking for fun activities, nonfiction, a short story for Christmas ("The Little Match Girl") and the New Year, take a look at my Christmas and New Year materials. I also have a series of short stories that will engage your students at any time, while teaching grammar and vocab. Enjoy browsing, and have fun teaching!
= To be, past tense.
= Character, Fiction, Conflict, Predictions, Finding evidence, Inferences,
= Five hours, plus (depending on how many of the additional exercises you use, such as the setting or character handouts.)