Teach your students the essential elements of every story (plot, exposition, etc.) through this scaffolded and fun lesson!
The following literary elements are taught in this lesson as important elements that make up any story:
• exposition (setting, characters, and conflict)
• rising action
• falling action
This lesson is composed of four parts:
1) Definitions: This first part requires students to define each literary element to prepare students for the rest of the lesson. Definitions are provided in the answer key.
2) "I Do": You can introduce the process of identifying literary elements to students by modeling the procedure using a popular children's story.
3) "We Do": As a class, students will identify literary elements using the lyrics from Taylor Swift’s "Love Story."
4) "You Do": Connect this to your class’ current reading! Students can independently identify the literary elements of any class novel or story they recently read or are currently reading.
**To use this resource you will need access to Taylor Swift’s song “Love Story.”
Please feel free to leave feedback!