This product contains a novel guide and all related resources for teaching The Enormous Egg by Oliver Butterworth. The guide contains chapter-by-chapter activities for using The Enormous Egg in the classroom. Each chapter guide consists of 4 parts:
* Vocabulary List: A list of words from which to choose focus vocabulary words for that chapter.
* Prereading Activities: Suggested activities and discussion starters to access students' prior knowledge, make predictions, and recall previously read portions of the story.
* During Reading Discussions - Page-by-page reading guides including discussion questions to be used during the reading of the chapter. The guide tells you exactly where to stop for discussion during a read-aloud or where to have students stop during silent reading for whole group discussions. It also gives specific, higher order, open ended discussion questions to spark students' thinking and engage them in the reading.
* Post-reading Activities: For each chapter, a teacher-led mini-lesson is included. Mini-lesson topics include: Reading for Details, Sequencing, Making Predictions, Compare/Contrast, Problem/Solutions, Context Clues, Cause/Effect, Drawing Conclusions, and Summarizing. Mini-lessons are designed to be teacher-led direct instruction of specific skills for whole class or small group instruction. Also included are independent post-reading activities for each chapter. Reproducible activities for 11 of the 17 chapters are included. Instructions for independent activities for the remaining 6 chapters are also included. Students will maintain a portfolio containing at least 1 independent product for each chapter in the novel.
Specific items included in this product are:
* A 24 page chapter-by-chapter guide to The Enormous Egg by Oliver Butterworth
* 13 printable worksheets for use with 11 of the chapters in the novel (lesson plans for activities to go along with the remaining 6 chapters are also included)
* 2 versions of a JeopardyÂ® style quiz game for review of the book (both an interactive PowerPoint version and a printable version are included)
* 2 versions of a final book test (1 simpler and 1 more complex version of the same test for differentiation or retesting)
* 4 printable Book Club task cards, which can be used with any book or novel
* A full-color cause/effect graphic organizer which can be used for any cause/effect lesson
* A printable Word Puzzle document which can be used for an in-depth analysis of any vocabulary word from any source
* All print files are included in both pdf and Word format so that you can tailor the products to meet your needs - a total of 38 separate files are included in this product.
Written in 1956 by Oliver Butterworth, The Enormous Egg tells the first person account of a boy who must fight for the life of his beloved pet dinosaur. Written at approximately a 5th grade reading level, this book makes an excellent novel study for 4th -6th graders, or a hilarious read-aloud for 2nd - 6th graders.
by Rebecca Bettis
The Enormous Egg, The Enormous Egg novel guide, The Enormous Egg study guide, The Enormous Egg novel unit, The Enormous Egg literature guide, The Enormous Egg worksheets, The Enormous Egg printables, dinosaurs, chapter book, Oliver Butterworth