This primary source epic is an excellent way to teach about geography, leadership, economy and achievements of the African Empire of Mali under Sundata. The Epic of Sundiata has riveting battle scenes and has awesome, accessible, cultural, historical content. My students loved it!
The story is condensed to four pages. Each chunked paragraph is numbered for teacher convenience. The introductory paragraph sets the scene with an explanation of the job of a griot and excellent primary sources excerpts from griots of Mali.The Epic of Sundiata lesson comes with a great Common Core key concepts for social science analysis graphic organzier and a fun family griot mask assignment!
1. Economy of Mali as trading empire
2. Major cities of the empire, espeacially Niani
3. Geography of the Niget River
4. Leadership/government of Mali with references to Sundiata and Mansa Musa
5. Key resources and agricultiture of Mali
♥♥♥SAVE BIG! Buy this lesson in a discounted West Africa Empires of Ghana, Mali & Songhai Bundle!
Tony Pavlovich, Instructomania, Medeival World History, Mansa Musa, Ghana, Mali, Songhai