Welcome to your “The Fall of the House of Usher” Short Story Resource Package. This package is broken into five parts so that you can easily choose which parts you wish to use. Each section can be used independently within your own plans or together to form the basis of a full unit. Enjoy!
1. The first part contains the full short story, a summary of the 6 elements of the short story, the vocabulary list with a teacher key, reading comprehension questions, a group discussion jigsaw activity, an author Web Quest activity, a short story elements comparison activity, and a “The Haunted Palace” poem activity.
2. The second part contains general lessons on the elements of a short story, character types, character sketches, characterization, and fining themes in a story.
3. The third part contains the printable worksheets that support each of the lessons from the previous section.
4. The fourth section contains two possible short story assignments. The first is a comparison paragraph activity comparing elements of two separate stories from your short story unit. It comes complete with instructions, a paragraph format sample, a worksheet, and grading rubric. The second is a 5 Paragraph essay assignment focusing on themes, motifs, or symbols. It comes with instructions, an essay format sample, an essay planning worksheet, and grading rubric.
5. The fifth and final section contains all of the Common Core Standards that apply to this resource package for the convenience of those of you who work in schools that use them. The specific Core standards range from grade 9-12.
I know you'll love it!