These homework assignments are originally part of our full The Fault in our Stars unit. We decided to sell this component separately and it includes the 46 page unit for 24 individual homework assignments for John Green’s The Fault in our Stars.
Certain homework assignments target key important chapters, while other assignments review themes and motifs after they have been fully developed with close readings of the text. Most of the assignments require the students to synthesize various scenes from across the text to help draw connections over a wide range of material. In short, the home works help to bring the book together.
Most importantly, students continue to practice their close reading skills as each homework assignment requires students to return to the text to provide detailed examples or direct quotes to support their ideas and opinions.
Homework titles include:
• Characters’ Philosophies
• Similarities Between Girls
• Otto Frank
• Three Friends and their Illnesses
• Hazel’s Health
• “Cancer Perks”
• “Side Effects” of Dying
• Kaitlyn the Sage
• Living with the Guilt of Dying
• The Reality of Death
• A Portrait of Caroline Mathers
• Childhood Innocence
• Caroline and Augustus: A Comparison
• Augustus’ Deterioration
• Three Eulogies
• Hazel’s Eulogy
• Augustus’ Cigarette Use
• An Imperial Affliction as a Religious Text
• Tracing the Novel’s Title
• Romeo and Juliet: An Allusion
• Hazel’s Father’s Opinion about An Imperial Affliction
• Hazel’s Emerging Philosophy
• Symbolism of the Swing Set
**These assignments don’t necessarily have to be for homework. They can be used as in class activities and completed individually, with partners or even small groups.
**Let us know what you think! We’d love to hear some feedback!