This is a complete lesson plan about the many aspects of the financial system. Its main emphasis is on the stock market and the types of investments students will likely encounter during their lives. It also discusses the functions of the financial system, different types of financial assets, and financial intermediaries. (This lesson is part of a larger unit on The Financial Sector
THIS DOWNLOAD INCLUDES:
1) Warm Up Activity -- a game where students use stock market data to compute profits.
2) PowerPoint Presentation -- contains the lecture and is a guide for all activities.
3) Note Sheet -- students fill out this note sheet during the lecture.
4) Class Activity -- students categorize investment options into the proper asset types.
5) Quiz -- Assesses student understanding of the included learning targets.
6) Homework -- analyze the relationship between the stock market and real GDP.
7) Teacher Materials -- includes a detailed lesson plan, answer keys, and a "Read Me" document explaining how to use the materials included.
TOPICS FOR THE LECTURE:
1) Aspects of the financial system
2) Functions of the financial system
3) Types of financial assets
4) Financial intermediaries
5) Brief overview of the stock market
6) How expectations about future stock prices are formed
(If you would like to download one of my PowerPoint slideshows to get a feel for my style, check out my free download here
This lesson is the third day of a seven-day unit on The Financial Sector that was designed using national standards from the Council for Economic Education. It should take 80 - 90 minutes, which is perfect for the block schedule, but it can also be easily split in half for classes that run closer to 50 minutes.
The Financial System - Lesson Plan and Activities
by Nick Samsal
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License