The following is a two-day (75 minutes periods) common core-based lesson/worksheet on the foreign policy of President John Adams, focusing specifically on the conflict between France and the United States.
This worksheet is loaded with a variety of student-centered activities designed to promote active engagement and critical thinking.
Several activities include:
• Critical thinking do now – perfect for class discussion.
• 5 Review questions – reminds students of the previous lesson.
• Numerous primary and secondary sources to analyze including the election of 1796, the Alien and Sedition Acts, the Patriot Act, and the Virginia and Kentucky Resolutions.
• Includes nearly 20 critical thinking questions.
• Video clip from HBO miniseries John Adams – link included
• Respond to the XYZ Affair activity – individually, in pairs, or small groups.
• As Thomas Jefferson, write a letter to John Adams activity
• An enormous amount of opportunities for analysis and class discussion.
• Wrap it up Paragraph activity – Students answer the aim. Rubric included.
Answer Key included!
Thorough update completed 11/16!
Created on a Word Doc, so this worksheet can easily be modified to fit a longer or shorter class period. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Please follow me to receive notifications about newly uploaded products. Finally, please rate this worksheet. Thank you so much!