Supporting Indigenous Resources for Inclusive Learning for Elementary School Students
This no-prep, learning resource has EIGHT activities to support this traditional Inuit tale using comprehension strategies:
Summary, Meaning, Problem and Resolution (with Opinion), Connection, Question, and Create an Alternative Ending
The activity sheets that support this unit are perfect for students between Grade 2 and Grade 5.
This book and unit is featured in my blog: Infusing Indigenous Literature: Top 10 Inuit Traditional Tales
This unit supports the following BC Curriculum Language Arts 'Big Ideas':
- Language and story can be a source of creativity and joy
- Stories and other texts connect us to ourselves, our families, and our communities
- Stories and other texts can be shared through pictures and words
- Everyone has a unique story to share
- Curiosity and wonder lead us to new discoveries about ourselves and the world around us
Other Unit Suggestions:
To obtain a copy of this book and others like it, I recommend checking out Strong Nations, an online bookstore supplying indigenous books. Not only do they have an extensive selection, they provide themed book bundles for all age ranges.