SEE ALL MATH STATIONS FOR FRACTIONS, ADDITION, SUBTRACTION, MULTIPLICATION, AND DIVISION HERE
This Combo Pack includes BOTH the 3rd Grade Fraction Station
AND the 4th Grade Fraction Station.
Do you want to teach fractions using a strategic approach, but don’t know where to start? Do you you feel like you “cover” fractions, but really want to encourage deep understanding this year? This is going to be the solution that you have been looking for.
The Fraction Station integrates simple principles of student engagement
including power, fun and choice. These basic principles will engage, motivate, and ensure success
for all learners in your classroom.
So, how does it work?
Well, it’s really quite simple. Students work through a series of fraction activities for each level. They complete the activities, self-check using the prepared answer keys, and keep track of their progress using their personal tracker. At the end of each level, students complete a hands-on activity. Then, when the student feels ready, he asks the teacher for a quick, informal, oral quiz. If he knows the concepts from that level, he moves to the next level. If not, he simply practices a bit more until he feels ready. There are no negative consequences.
This process is entirely student-run.
It is a beautiful thing to sit back and watch your students “running the show.” After the first week of this program, you will notice your role switching from that of teacher to that of facilitator.
Why do students love this approach so much? It’s easy: they have power!
They have freedom!
They are truly in control of their own learning. And THAT results in highly motivated students who love to learn.
This approach will help your students feel smart, successful and engaged. It’s just that simple.
You are going to be noticing some pretty big changes within your math instruction once you start using this resource:
- Your teaching will become more effective and strategic. Finally! An organized, efficient way to teach fractions. The work is done for you.
- The amount of marking that you have to do will decrease, as students are responsible for their own assessment. (Of course you’ll be doing observational assessment throughout, but you will be doing NO marking.)
- Once you prepare The Fraction Station, it can be used for at least a couple of months – that’s one less center that you need to worry about!
- Your students will become reflective as they develop metacognition.
- Your students will become motivated mathematicians. Finally, they can all work to a level that is appropriate. That’s motivating!
- Your students will experience success on a regular basis, as a result of working at an appropriate level.
- Your math class will become student-centered. Your students are truly in control of their own learning.
This resource includes:
- strategic, progressive, fraction activities for each concept; this particular station includes nine levels.
- easy-to-understand instruction for each fraction concept
- answer keys
- an accompanying video to help you prepare and understand your Fraction Station (I want to support you the best I can!)
- clear set-up instructions
- classroom posters
- student and teacher assessment trackers
- Fraction Passports
Teacher support is very important to me and I do everything possible to guide you through the process of creating your own Fraction Station. Within the document you will find checklists, set-up guides, as well as a support video to guide you through the set-up process.
Please see the free preview for more details and pictures.
Thank you for your interest,