GIVER – A Common Core-Aligned novel unit sure to engage your students in meaningful thinking, writing, and discussion when reading Lois Lowry’s The Giver.
This Product Contains:
1. “UTOPIA MIND MAPS” Pre-Reading/Anticipation Activity – In small groups, students brainstorm and complete two mind maps describing the creation of their own utopia. (2 pages)
2. CHAPTER-BY-CHAPTER RESPONSE PAGES – These Response Pages contain questions and prompts in varied formats that reflect Common Core skills such as citing text details and evidence, making inferences, analyzing figurative language, summarizing, author’s tone, character’s point of view, analyzing dialogue and important passages, setting, text features, character traits, character change, and plot development. Students enjoy working on these pages with a partner or in small groups—they are a great way to get students discussing the novel. (27 pages)
3. GIVER FREE-WRITES – 10 Journal-style writing prompts on attractive slides and a Free-Writes handout for student responses. Great discussion starters! (16 slides/pages)
4. VOCABULARY STUDY – 50 words – Grouped by chapters - Students study the definitions given, then fit the correct words into provided sentences, and choose 2 words to illustrate per page. (10 pages)
5. VOCABULARY QUIZZES – Five quizzes, grouped by chapters, that match the word listings on the vocabulary pages. (5 pages)
6. DETERMINING THEMES IN THE NOVEL – This graphic organizer allows students to examine 4 “theme topics” from The Giver and then determine 2 specific themes. (1 page)
7. PLOTLINE ORGANIZER - A visually attractive 2-page organizer (should be copied back-to-back) with descriptions provided for the terms Exposition, Rising Action, Climax, Falling Action, and Resolution and plenty of room for student responses. (2 pages)
8. CONFLICT IN THE GIVER – Students cite examples of conflict in the novel, including man vs. man, nature, society, and self.
9. WRITING AN OBJECTIVE SUMMARY – On an attractive handout, students practice Common Core Reading Standard R.2 by determining key events from and then summarizing a particular chapter in the novel. (1 page)
10. GIVER WRITING TOPICS – An End-of-Novel Writing Assignment with 2 topic choices (narrative) and graphic organizer examples on student handout. Includes grading rubric.
11. “ILLUSTRATE A QUOTATION” ACTIVITY – An artistic and literary activity, with full steps and directions, in which students choose a vivid scene from a list provided and locate a meaningful quotation or passage to illustrate. This mini-project makes a beautiful wall display! (1 page)
12. QUIZ on Chapters 1-5 (20 questions, 1 page)
13. TEST on Novel – Multiple Choice, Matching, T/F comprehension questions (50 questions, 4 pages) An additional copy is provided without answer blanks if you choose to use a separate Scantron-style answer sheet.
14. EXCERPTS FROM NEWBERY ACCEPTANCE SPEECH for use with ending interpretations
15. ANSWER KEYS (39 pages)
16. TEACHER GUIDE and COMMON CORE STANDARDS
Please open the PREVIEW to have a look at the style of this resource.
You may also be interested in:
GIVER Test – Whole Novel Test with Common Core Stems
GIVER - Short Constructed Response Questions - Common Core
Character Traits Essay – Informative Writing
Common Core Differentiated Short Response Slips for Literature
Common Core Bell Ringers - 240 Daily Warm-Ups with Answer Slides
---Click to receive My Newsletter
with Teaching Tips and FREEBIES!