The Genealogy of Jesus in pictures - According to Matthew 1
Also included in
- When reading the Christmas story, the genealogy of Jesus is often skimmed over. We tend to look at it as proof that God kept his promise for Jesus to be born into the family of Abraham and David, but not much more than that! We read through it quickly to "get to the Christmas story" without realizinPrice $3.20Original Price $4.00Save $0.80
When reading the Christmas story, the genealogy of Jesus is often skimmed over. We tend to look at it as proof that God kept his promise for Jesus to be born into the family of Abraham and David, but not much more than that! We read through it quickly to "get to the Christmas story" without realizing that this Genealogy is a vital piece of the story of God keeping his promises to his people.
As I’ve spent time studying each of these people and their lives, I’m blown away by the details that the Bible includes about many of these people as well as the historical and archaeological evidence outside of the Bible for a bunch of these people (specifically the kings in the line). While making these cards I tried to include little clues and reminders about many of their lives in their pictures. It’s true, many of these people we don’t know much about, but the ones we do know about have a deep history of God's love, protection, provision, and even His wrath and punishments.
While many of these stories are not yet appropriate for young kids to study very deeply just yet, it is my hope that as they grow older and study them later in life that these pictures will come to mind and remind them of each persons importance in the bigger picture of Jesus’ life. I've also included many of the women in Jesus’ family tree as well. I believe they are mentioned on purpose for their amazing strength, wisdom, and faith. Though not without faults, like most of the men in the genealogy, these women are an important part of the story.
I’ve learned so much just in the making of these cards. I encourage you to go back and study each person’s life and meditate on why each of these people was given the promise that Jesus would be in their family line. It’s an interesting study that will get you excited to teach your kids more about the genealogy of Jesus. You’ll never read Matthew 1 the same again. I hope you enjoy teaching with these cards as much as I do.
Included (as pictured):
- 43 Full Color Cards (2" x 3")
- 43 Grayscale Cards (2" x 3")
- Each card includes an adorable picture, the persons name, and a number showing what order they fall in the family line.
Print either the full color cards or grayscale cards on white card stock. Cut the cards apart. I recommend laminating for repeated use and to allow the kids to play with the cards.
- : The genealogy in Matthew is the family of Joseph. Matthew was writing to the Jews. The Jews would have been looking for the Messiah King. Matthew uses his genealogy, via Joseph's line, to show Jesus is in the line of kings as prophesy stated he would be. This would have been wildly important to the Jewish people he was writing to.
- : Luke was a doctor. His genealogy is the actual bloodline of Jesus. Luke was writing to the Gentiles (non-Jews) and showing the humanity of Jesus. He traces back the blood line via Mary's family. Since Mary was a woman, the name of her husband (Joseph) is listed officially in the genealogy. Luke was showing that Jesus was in line not just with King David, but all the way back to Adam and Eve.
- : Both genealogies show that Jesus was a descendant of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, King David, etc. All of this was also prophesy being fulfilled. By listing both genealogies we can see that Jesus did fulfill prophecy by being born in the correct family. By including both genealogies we see a more well rounded picture. It's not a mistake that they are both included.
Before purchase, please note:
It is widely believed that Matthew 1 is the genealogy of Joseph and Luke 3 is the genealogy of Mary. Both show that Jesus is a descendent of both Abraham and David as promised. If you would rather have only the genealogy of Mary in Luke 3 I carry that set of cards here. If you would like to own both sets of cards showing both genealogies you can get there here in a discounted bundle.
*The Matthew Genealogy Resource is included in my Jesus is Coming Themed Bible Add-On. Please do not purchase this resource if you plan to buy the Bible Add-On.*
Follow us on Facebook & Instagram. Use #edlah to tag your pictures using this product! Learn more about our story at edlah.com.
Copyright © 2021 Melissa Schaper at edlah.com
- All rights reserved by Melissa Schaper from edlah.com.
- Permission to use/print as needed for you and the students in your own classroom.
- Graphics in all resources are used with permission, and secured.
- Electronic distribution limited to in-person classroom use only.
- Posting/sharing on the internet (in whole or in part) violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
- Go to your My Purchases page (use the dropdown arrow next to your name in the top right corner of the screen).
- Beside every purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button.
- Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product you purchased. I love reading your comments!
- Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases.
- I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. Your ratings also help keep my store visible to others (which I greatly appreciate)!!!
- If you have a problem with a products, please reach out in a message first before providing poor feedback. I attempt to provide high quality products and an accurate description with images for every product. I want you to know exactly what you are getting before you buy.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
- Click here to become a follower.
- Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store. Be the first to see new products as I add them. ☺
- Check out my website at edlah.com