This story by O. Henry (William Sydney Porter) has a surprise ending that students love.
This lesson will take one-two class periods to complete. You can do as many
or as few of the worksheets as you want. Some can be assigned as homework.
This lesson contains:
• All teacher instructions
• Pre-reading vocabulary
• Vocabulary quiz with KEY
• A short background paragraph about O. Henry
• A journal topic
• A short worksheet with examples of irony and the lyrics to Alanis Morissette’s song “Ironic”
• Ideas on how to read the story
• Close reading questions with KEY
• Two graphic organizers on allusions and similes with KEYs
• Assignment to write a short paper on the use of irony in the story.
• A combined information worksheet on a theme or the central idea of the story and an assignment to write an analysis of its development over the course of the story.
• An Objective Quiz over the story with KEY