This file includes activities and lesson plans for the short story "The Gift of the Magi." These activities will assess comprehension, study language in context, and encourage analytical thinking.
→ A complete lesson plan that includes standards, discussion notes, pre-reading and post-reading topics, as well as literary devices to highlight during the story discussions.
→ 10 reading questions. These questions cover main points of "The Gift of the Magi."
→ Mentor sentences - fifteen mentor sentences for identifying the parts of speech in context. Suggestions for use included
→ Differentiated graphic grganizer - study suspense and the effect the narrator brings with a differentiated graphic organizer. Two versions included. Students can identify examples of suspense and draw conclusions, OR students can derive conclusions from examples of suspense provided.
→ Quiz: check for comprehension with this ten multiple-choice questions quiz.
I usually spend about three days teaching "The Gift of the Magi." My lesson plan includes ideas for differentiating, as well as extension activities. None of the activities depend upon each other - use one or more pieces easily.
All of the pieces except the graphic organizers are in editable and non-editable files.
• Marigolds by Eugenia W. Collier: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Writing
• Poison by Roald Dahl: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Graphic Organizer
• The Colomber by Dino Buzzati Quiz, Activities, Mentor Sentences
• The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry Quiz, Mentor Sentences, Graphic Organizer
• The Lady or the Tiger by Frank Stockton: Pre-Reading, Quiz, Mentor Sentence
• The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant Questions, Mentor Sentences, and Activities
• The Scarlet Ibis by James Hurst: Quiz, Mentor Sentences, and Activities
• There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury: Pre-Reading, Quiz, Mentor Sentence
• Wine on the Desert by Max Brand: Vocabulary, Writing, Graphic Organizer