This pack contains FOUR different Gingerbread Man activities! It contains:
• A differentiated guided reading text with 4 different levels (end 1st, beginning 2nd, mid 2nd, and end 2nd) with lesson plans
• A Gingerbread Man Journal for a cross curricular journal of activities to support learning with gingerbread man cookies!
• A Gingerbread Man Measurement Activity where students create a gingerbread man and practice measuring different parts (to the whole inch OR centimeter are included).
• A Gingerbread House Challenge Journal for students to complete while planning and building their own gingerbread houses.
Want to know more about each pack in detail? Read below!
Differentiated Gingerbread Man Guided Reading Texts
I created this guided reading unit to provide texts for second grade readers. Included are 4 versions of the same text, The Gingerbread Man. This text is based upon the original version, with a slight twist at the end. The events have also been simplified so that all students can read it. The lesson plans are for all levels of the text and include 3 days of guided reading and 1 day of guided writing. The lesson plan focuses on retelling using beginning, middle, and end. Word study is also included. The focus for this text is the three sounds of the –ed ending. The students will complete the word study before guided reading each day. However, the teacher can omit this to save time.
This unit includes:
• Four levels of the same text ( end 1st, beginning 2nd, mid 2nd, and end second)
• One lesson plan for all the levels
• Lesson plans for all the texts
• Word study focus
• Running records for chapter one and two of the text
• A comprehension quiz
• Guided writing activity
• Two beginning, middle, and end graphic organizers
• one story elements graphic organizer
• One writing extension (Students write a persuasive paragraph from the point of view of the gingerbread man begging not to be eaten.)
The text and lesson plans are set up like the texts in my Mastering Guided Reading series. However, this text is longer. This text is a total of 4 pages that will be printed front and back and stapled. The text contains three chapters.
Measuring the Gingerbread Man
This is a very simple activity to practice measurement. To complete it, copy a Mr. Gingerbread Man per student, and the Measuring Mr. Gingerbread Man answer sheet (one sheet is enough for every 2 students) . Provide students with either colored construction paper to cut out and decorate the gingerbread man. The gingerbread man MUST have a mouth and buttons to measure. There are two version of student directions included, measuring to the nearest inch or to the nearest centimeter.
The Gingerbread House Challenge
This simple activity is perfect for building a gingerbread house. Students will be given “The Gingerbread House Challenge.” Students will draw and design their own gingerbread house. Students will need to make a plan for materials and write about what they plan for their house. Another identical page has been added for students that are GIVEN specific materials for the challenge instead of choosing. Choose the copy that bests fits for your challenge. Students will then build the house. To end the challenge, students will need to reflect back upon any problems they ran cross and how they solved them.
To prepare the pack, simply run the pages front to back. Slice the paper in half and staple. Then, have fun creating!
The Gingerbread Man Journal
This pack supports a day of learning with gingerbread men cookies! Print one journal for each student. Then, lead students to complete each page and activity in the journal. The activities in the journal include:
• Graphing which part of the gingerbread man cookie is eaten first
• Observing the gingerbread cookie using the senses taste, sight, smell, and touch
• Graphing the class results of tallying who likes and doesn’t like gingerbread cookies
• A science activity where students explore what will happen if the gingerbread man is put in a glass of milk or water
• A writing activity in which students will write their opinion about gingerbread cookies. A graphic organizer and final draft paper are included.