Fairytales! There is so many activities you can do with your students when you are looking at fairytales. The Gingerbread Man is a classic fairytale that is loved by children. This literacy unit includes a huge variety of activities to keep your students busy and engaged.
This unit includes 20 different activities for you to choose from to suit any learning experience.
- Bulletin board picture: Print and display on your Fairytales bulletin board. Use as a picture stimulus.
- Character profiles – Gingerbread man and fox: Brainstorm words to describe the characters. Write a sentence about the character.
- Character Traits – Discuss the character traits of the different characters from the story.
- Amazing adjectives – write adjectives inside the gingerbread man to describe him.
- Story map – 2 versions: Draw and/or write about the characters, setting, beginning, middle and end. One version has boxes for just pictures, the other page has lines for writing.
- Sequencing: Version 1 - Cut and paste the pictures from the story in order. Write a sentence about what is happening in the picture. Version 2 – Cut and paste the pictures from the story in order. Cut and match the sentences to the pictures. Read the retell.
- Problem and solution – Discuss the problem and solution in the story. Draw a picture and write a sentence about each.
- Writing prompt: What would you do if a gingerbread man jumped out of your oven.
- Writing prompt: If I was a gingerbread man
- Making connections: Think about how the old lady was feeling. Write about a time when you felt the same. Also included another page to think about how the gingerbread man was feeling.
- Opinion writing – Why do you think the gingerbread man ran away?
- Cause and effect – discuss different events in the story and what made them happen. Look at the picture in the first box and draw what happened next.
- Opinion writing – Do you think the gingerbread man should have ran away?
- Writing prompt: How can the old lady and man catch the gingerbread man?
- Writing prompt: How can the gingerbread man escape?
- Letter writing templates – 6 versions: Write a letter to a character or from a character to another character.
- How to make a gingerbread man writing prompt
- Stem activity – The trap! Design a trap to catch the gingerbread man.
- Craft – Design and create a gingerbread man. This could be a plan for students to design and then decorate a gingerbread man they have baked.
- Headbands for roleplaying – including all of the characters from the story.
If you are looking for an easy to plan, ready to use unit, look no further! All activities in this unit are ready to print and use so are perfect your literacy time, with very little planning involved.
This unit is perfect for Queensland Prep teachers planning term 4 :)
If you liked this unit, check out my store for my other fairytale units. Keep updated by following my instagram page @mrs_mccarthys_classroom or my Facebook page Ms K's Kreations.