A CRYPTOCATEGORY word puzzle is a category of items followed by a coded list. These cryptocategories are categories of items, such as Characters, Careers, or Setting, from THE GIVER. Below each category is a coded list of words from the book that fall under the category. For example, under the category of Names might be "Tom," "Dick," and "Harry." "A" might stand for "T," "Y" might stand for "O," "F" might stand for "M," so AYF would decode as TOM. Some hints have been provided, and each category has its own code. NOTE: Cryptocategories are specific to the book. Please see preview.
CRYPTOCATEGORIES require students to use their knowledge of
THE GIVER and their spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and language skills!
***Perfect filler activities for after tests, between lessons, or at the end of the day!***
* The Community
* Jonas, the Receiver
* Rules and Rituals
* Father and Mother
Here are my unique products over THE GIVER. View all 13 in my store!
• THE GIVER edition of BOOKMARKS PLUS—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more!
• THE GIVER Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 204 questions!
• THE GIVER: 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword--Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the The Giver edition of Bookmarks Plus and the The Giver Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• THE GIVER: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword--Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• THE GIVER: 8 Word Searches Based on the Novel—8 Different Categories! Categories: Poor Asher!; Life in the Community; Places to Go; Little Gabriel; Careers; Characters; Pleasant Memories; The Range of Jonas’s Feelings
• THE GIVER: 12 Cryptogram Puzzles—Encoded Quotations from the Book! Students decode thought-provoking quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• THE GIVER: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• THE GIVER: Completing Quotations Crossword Students use their knowledge of the story and of language to complete these quotations from the book.
• THE GIVER: 10 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Characters; Careers; Animals; Lily-billy; The Community; Release; Jonas the Receiver; Rules and Rituals; Ceremonies; Father and Mother
• THE GIVER: Identifying Characters by Quotations Crossword—Fun! Students use their knowledge of the book as well as their spelling skills to solve these fun puzzles!
• THE GIVER: 2 Challenging Words Crosswords—Good Vocab Review! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• THE GIVER: 2 Reading-for-Detail-Crosswords—Good Objective Review! Great reviews for objective tests!
• THE GIVER: 16 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!