NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used before students read the book.
This crossword contains 50 challenging words from THE GIVER. Either as a homework assignment or by allowing students to work in pairs with a thesaurus in class, it's a great way to prepare students for reading the book and understanding the story; please notice that the parts of speech are included. Examples of clues:
21. Inflict (v.) ANSWER: cause
23. Infraction: A breaking of the ___ (n.) ANSWER: rules
24. Obsolete (3 words; adj.) ANSWER: outofdate
28. Exempted (v.) ANSWER: excused
30. Distended (adj.) ANSWER: swollen
FYI: I have narrowed the list of 50 words to 25 and included them on my THE GIVER edition of Bookmarks Plus, which students can refer to for definitions as they read the story. See list below.
Also, to reinforce meaning even more, I have created a THE GIVER synonym/antonym crossword over the 25 words. See list below.
USE ALL THREE PRODUCTS TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here is a complete list of my fun and challenging products based on THE GIVER—13 in all!
• Bookmarks Plus: THE GIVER edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid!
• THE GIVER Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class!
• THE GIVER: 16 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas
• THE GIVER: 8 Word Searches Based on the Novel—8 Different Categories!
• THE GIVER: 12 Cryptogram Puzzles—Encoded Quotations from the Book!
• THE GIVER: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique!
• THE GIVER: Completing Quotations Crossword
• THE GIVER: 10 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique!
• THE GIVER: Identifying Characters by Quotations Crossword—Fun!
• THE GIVER: 2 Challenging Words Crosswords—Good Vocab Review!
• THE GIVER: 2 Reading-for-Detail-Crosswords—Good Objective Activity!
• THE GIVER: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus!
• THE GIVER: 50-word Prereading Vocab Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!