The following exam is based on the novel The Giver. The exam goes beyond simply comprehension or rote memorization of the novel and assesses students' on their knowledge of skills. It is 8 pages and includes a key for students to record their answers for easy grading.
It includes 7 character-quote matching section, 10 events to put in chronological order, 11 multiple choice questions, 4 short answer response, and 1 longer open-ended essay question.
The exam tests skills such as the following:
• Identify conflict, types of conflict, and analyze the effects on character and plot
• Identify and analyze tone of passages
• Identify themes of the novel and analyze the lesson learned
• Analyze character through quote matching section
• Identify figurative language and imagery and its effectiveness
• Make inferences and support with textual evidence
• Identify the main idea of a passage with evidence
• Make generalizations based on evidence
The preview contains a sample for various sections of the test. An answer key is also provided.