Engage your students as you use The Giver in your classroom by leading them in your own Ceremony of Twelve, just like the one in Lois Lowry's novel! I use the activities in this resource for several days, as I lead my students in Chapters six through nine of the novel.
Included in this resource are:
1) Clear and detailed explanations for the few pre-lesson preparations you will need to complete a smooth classroom Ceremony of Twelve.
2) Over two pages of suggestions for the days you will spend using these lessons, including classroom management and activity transition tips.
3) A detailed list of seven Common Core Standards met through these activities.
4) A Ceremony of Twelve Seating Chart organized by birth-order and assignment columns
5) Fifteen detailed assignment categories, with rules and directions for each (some of the assignment categories include Waste Disposal Expert, Energy Manageer, Time Keeper, and Politeness Leader among others!)
6) A helpful list of discussion questions to use with Chapters six through nine of the novel
7) A Hunger Games video extension activity
8) Six discussion questions that will enable students to analyze how their classroom ceremony of twelve allowed them to make personal meaning and connections to themes and plot elements in The Giver
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License