Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This resource is also included in the following discounted resources:
Teaching Materials MEGA BUNDLE- $69.99
This resource includes:
--- 16 Multiple-Choice Inference Task Cards
--- 16 Multiple-Choice ANSWER KEY Inference Task Cards
--- 1 Inference Test Format (same as passages in the Inference Task Cards)
--- 1 Inference Test Format ANSWER KEY
--- 1 Inference Graphic Organizer
--- 2 Inference Bookmarks
About this Resource:
Updated 11/13/18 - Added Multiple-Choice Inference Test Format and Answer Key
PDF Zip File
Book: The Giver
Students always need additional support in mastering the skill of inferencing. You can use these two sets of 16 The Giver Multiple-Choice Inference Task Cards to help students practice making inferences.
The first set of 16 Inference Task Cards consists of a short selection/passage from the book followed by an inference-based question. There are four multiple choice answers choices that students choose from. Students read the passage and choose the correct answer. Students will need to pay close attention to details to choose the correct answer. The inference questions are centered around character traits, character relationships, and situations.
The second set of 16 Inference Task Cards are the actual “Answer Key” set of the first set of Task Cards. The Answer Key set of Task Cards highlight the correct multiple-choice answers in the color and highlights relevant evidence that supports the correct answers in the color .
Also included is a "Test Format" version of the Inference Task Cards (same passages in the Task Cards). This includes an ANSWER KEY as well! The test consists of 16 multiple-choice inference questions.
This is engaging practice for your students as it is perfect for mini-lessons, whole class instruction, cooperative learning, intervention groups, literacy centers, and small group instruction.
Inference Graphic Organizer
One-page Three-Column Graphic Organizer Chart that requires students to make evidence-based inferences. Students record the following information in the Inference Graphic Organizer: Information from the text, their own Prior/Background Knowledge, and Inferences. This is a great scaffolding tool for ELL and Special Ed students.
These bookmarks include sentence stems consistent with making inferences. Students can reference these inference stems to stimulate their thinking, increase comprehension, and actively engage in reading and discussion. Students can also use these inference stems in their writing! These bookmarks can be used to support reading comprehension in any text.
Suggestions on how you can use the Multiple-Choice Inference Task Cards:
1. Quiz or Test - You can make a copy of the set of Task Cards and distribute to each student as a quiz or test. You, as the teacher , can then select the Task Card Inference question that students performed the lowest on and use that to review and develop/modify your instruction.
2. Small Group Instruction - You can have students engage in small group instruction where you provide additional support on the skill of inferencing. These Inference Task Cards will support that type of instruction. You can have all students in small groups practice with the same inference task card question number or you can distribute 1-2 Task Cards to each student to practice, then review.
3. Mini Lesson - You can load these Inference Task Cards on the Smartboard and use them to demonstrate how to make an inference. They can also be used to discuss the importance of details and how they are used to encourage inferential thinking. You can even use these Task Cards to discuss the difference between relevant details and irrelevant details. Finally, you can use these Inference Task Cards during the guided practice portion of your lesson.
4. Formative Assessment / Exit Slips - These Inference Task Cards make a great, quick formative assessment! You can easily check for understanding by distributing 1-2 Task Cards to each student to complete. You can circulate the room to do a "Quick Check" to see if students "Got it." You can also use these Task Cards as Exit Slips by distributing 1-2 Task Cards to each student to complete and hand in to you before they leave.
5. Partner Study - You can have students pair up and “test each other.” Partners not only ask each other to choose the correct multiple-choice answer, but to highlight or underline specific details in the selection/passage to support their inference-based answer. The Answer Key set of Task Cards are helpful in the sense that students can take ownership of reviewing the correct answers and sharing that with their partners.
6. Test Prep Review - You can use these Task Cards to review how to answer multiple-choice questions. You can also use these cards to teach students a variety of multiple-choice strategies (process of elimination, context clues, textual evidence, tone, etc.) to help them select the right answers to questions and aid comprehension.
***CONTACT ME - !
Follow me on Facebook for resource updates, sales, and freebies!
***: Ratings and reviews are extremely important to me. Your time to rate this product and write a review will greatly be appreciated! ;-)
***You might be interested in the Novel Inference Task Cards and Answer Keys Package, which consists of 64 Inference Task Cards and Answer Keys using four books: Freak The Mighty, Bronx Masquerade, We Beat The Street, and The Giver for only $6.50!
Picture Inference Task Cards - $4.99
Inference BUNDLE - $25.99