If you are teaching Lois Lowry’s Newbery Award winning book, The Giver, this teaching companion unit is PERFECT for your middle school classroom! These lesson plans will guide your student through rigorous characterization, summarizing and comprehension activities. The unit starts with a discussion of dystopian societies using The Hunger Games and Divergent. Your students will be hooked from the start! And now that there's a movie, you can’t go wrong!
You will find a zipped file with the files listed below:
1. DETAILED lesson plans – all lesson plans are organized by chapter coverage. It is your discretion how quickly to move through each lesson. Lessons include I can statements, essential questions, vocabulary, an activating strategy, instructions for teaching the material in the chapters, and suggestions for assessments. A list of Common Core standards is included separately as not all schools and districts follow these standards.
2. Introductory Power Point, comparing the themes in The Hunger Games and Divergent to what students will be reading in The Giver.
3. Unit Resource Pack – in this pack, you will find all the necessary graphic organizers, anchor charts, character question tags, Power Point slides, and other materials that are referenced to in the lesson plans.
4. Student Journal – the student journal consists of comprehension questions and brainstorming activities that go with each lesson. You can choose if you wish to have students complete the comprehension questions as they read the book or afterwards. The intention of the questions is to be able to use the text to provide support for their answers, not just a check to see what they remember after reading.
5. Vocabulary Worksheets – these sheets match how the chapters are grouped in the lesson plans. You may choose to use these multiple choice worksheets as an introduction to the words (let them see what they know before finding the answers), practice with the words once they are introduced to them within the text, or as assessments.
6. Middle of the Book test and answer key – the test is a combination of multiple choice, true/false (students have to correct the false statements), short answer, and an essay.
7. Book vs. Movie comparison charts
8. Final project – final project suggestion is to create a book jacket for The Giver. Directions are provided in a rubric format. Students are required to create a “tasteful” cover and include a summary on the back. Also, students will need to include information regarding theme, their interpretation of the book’s ending and a symbolism flap book (included) on the inside of the book jacket. VERY COMPREHENSIVE!!!
Common Core standards are listed in the file - if you teach 5th grade through 8th grade, there are a TON of standards that this will cover for you!!
The only thing you need to be able to teach this book is a class set of books! All the work is done for you, including your lesson plans!
Please understand that your purchase entitles you to make necessary copies for your own classroom. Do not share or upload this unit to a shared server, as this would be a violation to my copyright laws. You may purchase additional licenses for interested colleagues or direct them to my store to make their own purchase.
I know you will love this unit! Stop back at my store, leave me some feedback (get some TpT points for free product) and shop around for other great products for your classroom.
Make sure to follow me for updates, teaching ideas, and freebie alerts with TpT, Facebook and my blog.
As always, Happy Teaching! Martha from “The Owl Spot” www.teacherspayteachers.com/store/the-Owl-Spot