This introductory PowerPoint is designed to facilitate discussion on the Pearl S. Buck's short story "The Good Deed." Elements of the PowerPoint include the following:
1. A series of initiating questions designed to generate student interest in the story and help students make personal connections.
2. References to relevant literary terminology, including dynamic character, static character, protagonist, antagonist, character, and characterization.
3. Application activities designed to flesh out characterization in the short story.
4. An exercise in which students evaluate the pros and cons of arranged marriage, helping to shed light on cultural views of marriage.
5. A series of plot-related questions designed to reinforce comprehension of key concepts and themes.
6. An extension activity in which students assume the persona of Mrs. Pan and highlight her internal state, with an emphasis on demonstrating comprehension of her dynamic character status.