The Great Big Enormous Turnip, also known as The Enormous Turnip is a classic folktale that tells the story of an old man and a turnip. After a turnip in his garden has grown too large to pull out himself, a sequence of others come to help. With teamwork they're able to pull out the turnip and enjoy it in a stew! This literature unit is filled with six different follow-up activities and games to target listening, language and literacy! Following reading, engage your students in activities targeting:
1. Sequencing with Pictures (which is also a great retelling tool!)
2. Comprehension Questions with two (picture) answer choices
3. Spatial Concepts- Describe where the turnip is in the given picture
4. Rhyme Sort- Sort pictures with like rhymes
5. Absurdities- Repeat sentences, correcting the absurdity
6. The Old Man's Book Walk- A game to find items in the book matching given attributes and functions
Not only will your students LOVE this cute story, they'll also have fun with these follow-up activities targeting language, listening and literacy!
Please note: The book is not included with this unit and must be purchased separately. There are a number of versions of the story available. This unit was created using the book by Jackie Andrews.