This editable lesson is a fun and interactive way to introduce the Great Depression and get students excited about the unit. This is a complete lesson starting with students accessing prior knowledge about recessions and the economy in the warm up. Then, they will assume the role of president as they spend time thinking deeply about the fundamental problems Americans faced in the Great Depression and create a plan for combating the main issues. Finally, students will analyze quotations from famous and common people during this devastating period and end the lesson by viewing photographs across the nation from 1935-45.
Students need very little background on the Great Depression before implementing this lesson.
- Computers/laptops (suggested)
- Lesson Outline and Suggested Use
- Warm Up
- Great Depression Presidential Game Plan
- Experiencing the Great Depression
- Photos of the Great Depression (link only)
You might also enjoy:
- Insta-Past! An Instagram-Inspired US History Preview or Review Timeline!
- Student Listening Guide for the Washington Post's Presidential Podcast
- Supply and Demand Unit Bundle including Shark Tank Project
- DBQ Essay Materials
- Cold War March Madness