The following is a five-day (75 minute periods) bundle of lesson plans/worksheets on the Causes and Effects of the Great Depression, as well as the New Deal that followed it. These lessons contain a variety of student-centered activities that promote critical thinking and class discussion. By purchasing this bundle, you save $2.00 compared to purchasing each worksheet separately.
Causes of the Great Depression - US History - Common Core
• A do now that ask students to briefly analyze the decade of the 1920s – serves as an excellent review and bridge to the Great Depression
• “The Great Depression Blame Game” – In partners or small groups, students will read secondary source material about five major potential causes of the Great Depression. After each brief reading, students will answer a series of questions – some fact based, others opinions, and discuss the answers with their partners.
• Students will then rank the causes from most important to least important
• Finally, students will advise President Hoover on specific steps to take to slow, halt, or reverse the Depression.
NEW! - Answer Key included!
Effects of the Great Depression - US History Common Core
• Do now that reviews from previous lessons and appropriately sets up the lesson.
• Song lyrics analysis – Brother Can You Spare a Dime? – song available on Youtube or Itunes. – includes questions.
• Migrant Mother analysis – includes several critical thinking and thought provoking questions.
• Herbert Hoover on Self-Reliance – primary source analysis, questions, and discussion.
• Link to youtube video – Welcome to Hooverville – includes questions.
• Analysis of the Bonus Army March, the Election of 1932, and FDR’s first inaugural address – includes questions.
• Endless opportunities for class discussion!
• Fill-in-the-blank notes (includes answers)
NEW! Answer Key included!
The New Deal - US History Common Core
Topics covered in this lesson:
• Effects/problems of the Great Depression briefly discussed
• Relief, recovery, and reform
• Different programs of the New Deal
• Challenges to the New Deal – Huey Long, Father Charles Coughlin, Dr. Francis Townsend, Conservative Republicans
• Supreme Court Cases – Schechter Poultry v. US, Butler v. US, Court Packing Scheme
• Success of failure of the New Deal
Activities utilized in this lesson:
• Do now that appropriately sets up the lesson
• Think-Pair-Share – Role of Government
• What should FDR focus on first? Activity
• Relief, recovery, and reform activity
• Assessment of the New Deal
• Numerous primary and secondary sources
• Political cartoon analysis
• Defining Success – New Deal Edition
• Over 40 fact-based and critical thinking questions!
• Enormous opportunities for group work and class discussion.
Please see each individual worksheet for the common core standards met by each lesson.
I also offer the Causes and Effects of the Great Depression as a bundle for a reduced price...
Causes and Effects of the Great Depression Bundle - US History Common Core
Feel free to edit these worksheets to meet your specific needs. Follow me to receive updates on newly uploaded products. Please take a moment to rate this bundle. Thanks!