"Work Smarter, Not Harder" with Ultimate Units. Gatsby is not just "great" anymore. Help your students discover just how amazing Gatsby can be with this Common Core Aligned, 165 page Teacher's Unit.
Ultimate Units are 20-year-tested English Units that include everything you might need for your students' exploration of the novel, the time, the author, and the issues. This four to five week unit was developed over two decades of high school instruction and a decade of college instruction. Each unit includes:
1. A Day to Day Schedule for completion is provided with Common Core Alignment.
Of course, you may choose to pace it differently depending on your student population and different classroom dynamics. (Advanced, Standard, and Remedial, etc.)
2. A PowerPoint “Primer” Presentation is included to interest readers and set the stage for thematic and issue exploration throughout the novel study.
3. A Sample Lesson Plan is provided.
4. Author Biographical Activities are included designed to promote understanding of the author, the time and place in which the novel was set and/or written, and the influence of the literature are present in the form of Academic Scavenger Hunts (fact-finding research missions) to be completed in libraries, resource centers, and/or on the internet.
5. Scene indexes and/or chapter titles and summaries for fast access to specific areas of the literature & Reader’s Guides, indicating key passages, suspenseful/cliffhanger passages to build student interest, and major elements of plot.
6. Pre-and Post-Tests and Chapter or Section Quizzes are provided to check for reading comprehension. (Keys included.)
7. Vocabulary Building master lists by chapter allow you to choose terms that fit your student population. Also, vocabulary activities have been provided, including puzzles, quizzes, and keys.
8. Journal Assignments explore opinion based questions, criticism of characters, cultural norms, etc. These questions foster critical thinking and provide pre-writing for upcoming essay topics.
9. Review Materials and games are included for student test preparation.
10. Review Projects synthesize content specifics with thematic relevance and encourage material connection to the individual student.
11. Two different style TESTS: Objective (Standardized Test Preparation) and Short Answer and Essay.) (Keys included.)
12. Paper Topics including choices of narrative, expository, argumentative, and research questions.
13. Assessment Rubrics and Alternative Assessment Activities are included.
14. Useful Links & Apps related to the time-period, the author, the literature, the influence.
15. Video Supplements Guide: Scene recommendations from various video supplements are provided with specific timings noted.
Why recreate the wheel, when a complete, thorough, 20 year tested unit is available? Look for other Ultimate Units, continuing with -The Catcher in the Rye,- March 15th.
The Ultimate Gatsby Novel Unit
by Leigh C. Stroh
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License