Products in this Bundle (10)
showing 1-5 of 10 products
From the giltz and glam of flappers to the longing of painful heartbreak, The Great Gatsby has captured teachers and students alike for generations. If you've been following along with me on Instagram @mudandinkteaching, you have probably caught some of my stories where I'm sharing a video-journal of my experiences teaching the novel during January - February of 2019.
This unit focuses on the essential question: is the American Dream more likely to inspire or destroy us? Each lesson I've presented here returns back to that question, helping students focus on something bigger than the novel itself.
Click through the individual products listed above to get a sense for the style of the unit and types of activities offered. Among my favorites are:
- A Gatsby party held before the start of the novel. We do a stations activity to get acquainted with the setting, characters, and Fitzgerald's writing style
- Close reading passages that zoom in on the Valley of Ashes and Gatsby's mansion
- Novel and film comparisons
- Comparison and contrast between James Gatz and PT Barnum from The Greatest Showman
- A funeral for Gatsby where students read the eulogies they've written
- A 3-week condensed unit option with its own materials designed for a film/audio experience of the novel in a hybrid or distance learning scenario
I hope you enjoy each and every lesson and activity included!
WHY YOU NEED THIS PRODUCT:
First and foremost, this product is 100% editable. Each of the resources is shared with you via Google Drive and you are welcome to make whatever customizations you need to best fit your students.
I've worked hard to make each of these lessons rigorous, engaging, and creative. There are lots of "cute" ideas out there as well as some really tough and challenging ones: I strive to balance these two spectrums. I take literary analysis seriously, but I work hard to create visually appealing and collaborative handouts and lessons to help facilitate critical thinking.
You might also be interested in these other resources for teaching The Great Gatsby:
- Choose Your Own Adventure - Narrative Writing
- Love Poem for a Character
- Literary Essay & Argument Writing Rubrics (Editable)
- The Great Gatsby: PreReading Lessons, Activities, and Fun!
- The Great Gatsby: Chapters 1, 2, and 3 Activities
- The Great Gatsby: Chapter 4 & 5 Activities
- The Great Gatsby: Chapter 6 & 7 Activities
- The Great Gatsby: Chapters 8 & 9 Activities
Don't forget that leaving feedback earns you points toward FREE TPT purchases, so let me know how everything is working out!
© Mud and Ink Teaching Please note - this resource is for use by one teacher only. Additional teachers must purchase their own license. If you are interested in purchasing several licenses, please let me know. Good luck on your adventurous teaching journey!
Let's Stay Connected!