This is a great activity if your classes are reading The Great Gatsby and/or preparing for the New York State Common Core English Regents. After reading several small excerpts from the novel The Great Gatsby, students answer eight multiple-choice questions that have question stems based on part one of the NYS Common Core English Regents.
This is also an excellent activity if your class is studying the time period and/or Fitzgerald, but you don't have time to cover the entire novel.
1. When students enter class, hand them a card that has both a letter and number. (A1, A2, B1, B2, etc. Create enough to have even groups of three or four.)
2. Students independently read and answer the questions.
3. Teacher instructs students to break into groups based on the letter assigned at the start of class.
4. Students review their answers to the questions and can change the answers they have selected based on small group discussion.
5. After an allotted time (3-5 minutes), teacher instructs students to break into groups based on the number assigned at the start of class.
6. Students review their answers to the questions and can change the answers they have selected based on small group discussion (2-4 minutes).
7. Teacher then asks each student to finalize his/her answers (1-3 minutes).
8. Discuss the responses, asking students to directly support their choices with the text.