Word Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This is a Common-Core aligned, full-unit, 27-page guided reading packet for teaching The Great Gatsby! It is well-organized and user friendly, allowing your students to follow a cohesive and coherent plan for reading and understanding the novel. It contains a wide variety of classroom exercises and activities to help students comprehend, analyze, and relate to the text!
The packet contains the following:
1) An introductory (and spoiler-free) overview of the novel to generate interest
2) A place for taking notes about the novel's context
3) A list of vocabulary words that can be used to talk about the text (includes spaces for students to take notes with definitions)
4) A WebQuest that will allow students to seek out important information about social, historical, and cultural contexts of the novel
5) A character map with pictures and descriptions
6) Theme, symbol, and motif exercises
7) Close reading exercises
8) Comprehension and analysis questions divided by chapter (questions are often text-dependent and may require quotation analysis) to help students think critically about their reading
9) Questions to accompany the preface and publisher's afterword of the novel
This guided reading packet can be used alone, or as part of my entire Gatsby unit. The materials for the unit include a PowerPoint that corresponds exactly with this packet, a vocab and WebQuest quiz, a vocab crossword, and a Final Test. These items can be found on my page, or through the links below!