Also included in
- With this set of resources, you will have a full year's worth of materials for teaching the American literature from America's beginnings to today. If you are new to an American Literature course/junior English, or if you are veteran teacher looking to make some changes, address differentiation, or$101.88$141.50Save $39.62
Add rigor and interest to your The Great Gatsby unit or movie study with this The Great Gatsby Movie Viewing Guide! The activities included could be used with your study of the novel or movie, but they are not novel to film comparisons. This pack works with the 1974 or 2013 version of the movie to study a film as a text. Each of these no prep, standards-based activities and assignments is classroom tested and student approved, and will have you covered for up to two weeks!
Student Experience: Students will be able to enjoy watching the movie while digging deeply to understand and analyze the layers of this great American novel. Begin the mini unit with a quick study of the 1920s, and you'll have options for that. Meaningful questions will keep students active while watching, and carefully selected close reading passages will get text in front of students' eyes after the movie. Students won't miss important plot details, symbolism, or theme elements either because I've included interactive tools for you to use to cover those elements as well. Last, creative responses to the movie are also included: character collages, My American Dream projects, and writing prompts. If you want students to analyze the movie and show their understanding of literary and thematic concepts through their viewing of this movie, then this is the pack for you. I've used this pack so many times successfully in my class, and students report they love the Gatsby unit!
- Day by Day Calendar for Planning/Pacing
- Super Simple Sub Sheet
- Mini PPT for Intro to Roaring 20s and American Dream (editable PPT)
- Active Viewing Questions, PDF digital versions included
- After Viewing Quiz, PDF
- Three After Viewing Prompt Options, PDF and digital versions included
- Character Collage Hands-On Project, PDF
- Symbolism and Theme Interactive Exercise, PDF
- The American Dream: A Paradox in Gatsby, PDF and digital versions included
- Human Plot Chart, PDF
- Green Light Reading Passages and Video Link, PDF and digital versions included
- American Dream Project, instructions in PDF
- Three Close Reading Excerpts with Skills-Based Activity Sheets with Suggested Answers (Chapters 1 and 6), PDF and digital versions included
- 1920s Short Research Task Cards, PDF and digital versions included
See my other The Great Gatsby materials:
Classroom success stories from teachers who have tried this unit:
♥ "This was an amazing resource. It was quick and easy to use. The students enjoyed the movie and the worksheet was incredibly thorough. Rather than just being a general comprehension assignment, this resource asks students to analyze the movie and various literary elements."
♥ "This resource was great and saved my life at the end of this school year. We did not have time to actually read Gatsby but I wanted my students to still have some exposure. With this pack, I felt like they got just as much out of the movie!"
♥ "What a neat collection of activities. Love this!"
♥ "Great resource, contains more than expected/needed so I was able to extend the lesson!"
♥ "The resource is extremely helpful, and I think that it is written in a student-friendly way."
♥ "Such a great way to make sure my students are watching the movie and being held accountable!"
♥ "This resource was FANTASTIC! I really enjoyed the close reading passages and the other activities in this mini-unit. I was able to adapt some of them to meet the needs of my students."
♥ "Great resources for teaching the Film Version of Gatsby while still exposing students to the important parts of the text."
♥ "Once again Ms. Faulkner delivers! This unit plan was so easy - I barely had to read the printouts ahead of time. Truly print and go! The kiddos loved the art and fonts and I appreciated the book excerpts to drive home the green light motif among other concepts. Thank you for sharing this!"
♥ "I absolutely LOVE this resource! I love the way that she has formatted this resource. It is made to catch the student's eye and keep their attention."
♥ "I used a different guide last semester. My students this semester enjoyed this one more. I will be using pieces of this unit in the future when I teach Gatsby."
♥ "I loved this bundle! The questions were clear for the students to answer and it was easy for them to use the worksheet during the movie for following along and what not. The quiz questions were also clear which helped me ESOL students. I used this bundle for my U.S. History class. However, it is perfect for ELA as well."
Looking for more interesting and engaging movie guides to make showing film in class more rigorous? Check out the following titles:
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches. Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to FOLLOW ME. Voila! You will now receive email updates about my store.
For more ideas and inspiration:
Updated Fall 2020