For those students who struggle with organizing a literary analysis essay...
This is an essay activity that I have my students complete at the end
of The Great Gatsby after our discussion of color symbolism.
It is a step by step essay guide that begins with the creation of the introduction and thesis statement.
Students choose what color and symbolism they want to discuss and if they want to discuss how the symbolism enhances characterization or setting and mood.
There is actually a fill-in-the-blank thesis statement for students who struggle with this initial step.
What follows are the basic steps for writing a literary analysis essay:
• Determine three main points
• Locate quotes from the text to illustrate points
• Cite quotes correctly (MLA)
• Develop paragraphs by discussing how points and quotes support the thesis (in this case how the particular color adds to characterization or setting and mood)
• Conclude with a restatement of the thesis and comment on effective use of symbolism
Each step has examples of the expectation.
I’ve included a scoring rubric that includes each step and point values.
The entire document is editable, so you can customize it for your class.
Thank you for consideration of this resource.
I hope you’ll visit my store to check out my other Gatsby items. Particularly helpful in advance of this assignment would be the Color Symbolism Activity and the Color Symbolism PowerPoint presentation.
Other items include:
----individual chapter activities,
----creative activities, and
----two different Introductions to the Roaring 20’s PowerPoint presentations
Just click here to visit my Gatsby Store, Old Sport!