This product is meant to be used after students have read the book.
This puzzle focuses on 25 challenging words from THE GREAT GATSBY. Students must provide either an antonym or a synonym for each clue. Each word is presented in the sentence in which it is used in the book. A fun way to learn new words. Note: Students will be more successful if they use a thesaurus rather than a dictionary to solve this crossword.
Examples of clue (note that some are antonyms):
*It was a rich cream color, bright with nickel…and terraced with a LABYRINTH of wind-shields that mirrored a dozen suns. (syn.) ANSWER: maze
*The bar is in full swing, and floating rounds of cocktails permeate the garden outside, until the air is alive with chatter and laughter, and casual INNUENDO and introductions forgotten on the spot... (syn.) ANSWER: insinuations
*That request seemed SUPERFLUOUS when I wrote it. (ant.) ANSWER: necessary
*From the moment I telephoned news of the catastrophe to West Egg village, every SURMISE about him, and every practical question, was referred to me. (ant.) ANSWER: fact
*“See!” he cried triumphantly. “It’s a BONA-FIDE piece of printed matter. It fooled me." (ant.) ANSWER: fake
*"He’s quite a character around New York — a DENIZEN of Broadway.” (ant.) ANSWER: visitor
To reinforce meaning, I offer these two companion products that focus on the same 25 words:
THE GREAT GATSBY edition of Bookmarks Plus: Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for 25 Words to Know, which students can refer to as they read. In addition, the bookmarks provide information about the author, describe the setting, and present a list of the themes of the book—and more! Aids in students’ understanding of the book.
THE GREAT GATSBY: 50-word Prereading Crossword. Helps prepare students for reading the book. Contains the 25 Words to Know from THE GREAT GATSBY edition of Bookmarks Plus, which are also the 25 words in THE GREAT GATSBY Synonym/ Antonym Crossword. Perfect extra-credit assignment and a great way to introduce the book!
Don’t miss my other unique products over THE GREAT GATSBY listed below. Many are perfect activities for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View all 15 in my store!
• THE GREAT GATSBY: Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 300 questions!
• THE GREAT GATSBY: Anagram Crossword—Good Spelling Workout! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, each time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• THE GREAT GATSBY: Completing Characters’ Quotations Crossword Students use their knowledge of the book as well as their spelling skills to solve these fun puzzles!
• THE GREAT GATSBY: 10 Cryptogram Puzzles—Encoded Quotations! Students decode 10 thought-provoking quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• THE GREAT GATSBY: 10 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode 10 lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Animals; Plants; Gatsby’s Guests; More of Gatsby’s Guests; The Valley of Ashes; Myrtle’s Party; Characters; Daisy’s Past.
• THE GREAT GATSBY: Figurative Language Crossword—Creative! Students use their knowledge of the story, their knowledge of language, and their imaginations to complete these clues. All are examples of similes, metaphors, hyperbole, etc., from the story! A great way to teach figurative language!
• THE GREAT GATSBY: 10 Novel-Based Word Searches 10 categories: Names from the Novel; Gatsby; The Buchanans; Jordan; Places in the Novel; Gatsby’s Possessions; The Parties; Nick; The Roaring Twenties; The Novel
• THE GREAT GATSBY: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• THE GREAT GATSBY: 3 Reading-for-Detail Crosswords Based on the Novel Great reviews for objective tests!
• THE GREAT GATSBY: 16 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers that relate to the themes of the book!
• THE GREAT GATSBY: That Daffy Decade Crossword—The Roaring Twenties! A great way to test students’ knowledge of the 20s!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!!