Excited about the new film? Teach this novel using a Socratic reading and fun theme analysis project!
Included in your download:
• Gatsby Reading Guide- This is a teacher guide to start and stop times for stopping the students during in-class reading. It provides probing questions at each point if discussion stops or needs depening.
• Socratic Reading Expectations- This is a handout for students that show them what good readers look for in literature. It includes stems for discussion and norms of behavior. I print mine on colored paper and laminate them.
• Socratic Reading Intro PowerPoint- An introduction for students on how this process works.
• Gatsby Discussion Reflection- This is a log for students to fill in every day after they are done with the days discussion.
• Gatsby Discussion Reflection- This is a fill in the blank character map for students to complete while reading.
• Soundtrack Analysis- This is a student worksheet that has them do a close reading of a few of the songs from The Great Gatsby movie soundtrack and apply themes
• Sound track Lyrics- A hard copy of the lyrics to the songs. I also play them in class.
• Final Project- This is a student-ready handout for the final project. It has them analyze themes within the story and then create a final product that illustrates a modern theme.