This low prep, standards-based, complete The Great Gatsby unit plan is designed to take your students through The Great Gatsby in a way that the novel comes alive. The Great Gatsby is one of the most timeless novels of all time and teaching tools for a course in American literature. With each chapter, students will close read, annotate, analyze, get creative, and most of LOVE the experience!
Teacher and Student Experience: It’s the great American novel, and this literature guide has been carefully crafted to reach all learners in a way that conveys its rightful place in the canonical masterpiece lineup. As students study and dig into the text with the carefully crafted questions on the chapter reading guides, you will be confident that key standards are being addressed. From the modern connections provided such as creating a Gatsbygram to explore characterization, conflict, point of view, and plot to the nonfiction text readings that bring in the historical side of the novel, students will recognize the importance of this classic text as critical in their world. Everything in the unit has a specific purpose: teaching the essential questions of the unit and ensuring students see and appreciate the novel as a whole. Various other interactive, hands-on, and creative activities will provide you with many ways to engage your students in this five/six-week unit plan. All the basics are here, too: standards, daily pacing guide, reading quizzes, grammar worksheets, short prompts, vocabulary, final exam, and final projects. The materials are creative and fun for students so they will grow to love the novel, yet easy-to-prep and purposeful to make your job easier. Whether you use all the resources or just a few, you will have amazing success teaching The Great Gatsby with the materials included in this unit.
- unit overview with contents and essential questions and daily pacing guide (40 days) in printable and digital for Google format
- reading comprehension graphic organizers, 100% editable PPT and e-worksheet format for Google, answers included
- vocabulary lists for each chapter, 100% editable
- three grammar exercises, 100% editable, answers included
- reading quizzes (true/false), two versions of each quiz 100% editable, answers included
- journal/discussion prompts for each chapter, 100% editable
- symbolism and theme interactive activity, 100% editable, answers included
- one short research and presentation media project (Dangers of Alcohol) 100% editable
- pre-reading problem-solving gallery walk
- pre-reading stations to introduce purpose, history, book cover, epigram, and characters
- interactive review activities (plot puzzle, character puppets, Tweet for Me)
- classroom posters and bookmarks
- characterization worksheets
- figurative language worksheets with challenge exercises, answers included
- make your own cover, write your own ending (Google)
- chapter color tracking journals with answers included
- SWBST chapter summary sketch notes with answers included
- final exam answers included, 100% editable
Additional Chapter Resources Include:
- Chapter 1, Close reading, paired info text, and activity: Old/New Money
- Chapter 2, Close reading, paired media text, and activity: Domestic violence
- Chapter 3, Close reading, and activity: Party Scenes
- Chapter 4, Close reading, paired info text, and activity: Gangster life
- Chapter 5, Close reading, paired poetry/song texts, and activity: Irony
- Chapter 6, Close reading and activity: The real Gatsby
- Chapter 7, Close reading and activity: Love triangle
- Chapter 8, Close reading, paired poetry text, activity: Great Goodbye
- Chapter 9, Close reading, paired media text, activity: Green light & American Dream
*The above resources are deigned to teach theme, conflict, characterization, close reading, setting, and more. Each task students back into the text and makes connections across texts as well before concluding with an original, creative, yet meaningful activity.
*Google access and Youtube access will be required for some of the activities and/or videos.
See how I organize my units in these two quick and free video tutorials:
After you finish your The Great Gatsby unit, have a fun recap with my The Great Gatsby escape game (sold separately here).
Interested in more of my literature units?
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches. Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to FOLLOW ME. Presto! You will now receive email updates about my store.
For more ideas and inspiration:
Please, one classroom use only. Additional licenses are sold at checkout. This license is nontransferable. Not eligible for online environments unless password protected. Posting openly online is prohibited. No part of this resource can be used for commercial purposes, altered, or resold. This work is my original work, and taking portions of it to create something else for resale is prohibited. All art and images are credited inside file.